Sunday 22 January 2017

Chitoi Pithe


I dedicate this post to my Dida (my granny). I always wanted to cook any types of Pithe and this is my first time.Though the commonly known pithe's are Patishaptha and Doodh Puli , I am sharing the recipe of Chitoi Pithe in thickened milk gravy which is my favorite and not at all time consuming to prepare.

Whenever I think of pithe I always remember my childhood days were my granny use to prepare many kinds of pithes during Makar Sankranti. I never came across  the same taste, in my memories the taste was saved somewhere. I really miss my granny , it has been almost 16 years we have lost her. Chitoi pithe is one of my favorite which Dida used to prepare.
My family really enjoyed this preparation specially my mom and aunt reminisced Dida's pithe. One thing I could not help think is the effort Dida had to make in those days with minimal or no appliances. We are thankful to technology that which help us to reduce a lot of time and energy. That's why I wanted to dedicate this post to my Dida.


Prep Time : 4 hrs
Cooking Time: 1 hr
Serving : 6 person

Ingredients:
  1. 350 gm Gobindo bhog rice / any aromatic rice
  2. 1 small cup any rice cooked
  3. 1 tsp baking powder
  4. 1 tsp salt
  5. Jaggery 200 gm ( Patali gur or Nolen gur preferably)
  6. 1.5 liters whole milk
  7. 100 ml fresh cream
  8. 2 pods of cardamom
  9. 2 tsp refined oil
  10. Water
Utensils :
  1. Nonstick appam pan
  2. Heavy bottom aluminium pan 
  3. Kitchen silicon brush
  4. Spatula
Instruction:

Chitoi Pithe:
  1. Wash and soak the rice for about 3 hrs
  2. In a blender add the soaked rice, cooked rice and minimum required water. Make a fine paste. 
  3. Add some more water to the consistency which is not runny and not very thick
  4. Add salt and baking powder to the batter
  5. Keep the batter aside under room temperature for about 2 hrs
  6. Heat the appam pan, start oiling the bottom of each mold
  7. Mix the rice mixture well and start pouring a spoon full batter
  8. Don't try to create any shape, the batter will take the shape of the mold
  9. Cover with a lid and let it cook for about 3 mins max
  10. Continue to make the pithe with most of the batter
  11. Keep only two spoon full of batter aside, this will be required  to make the sweet sauce in which the pithe will be dipped
Sweet Sauce(thickened milk):
  1. Transfer the milk to a heavy bottom pan and put it on heat under low flame
  2. Add crushed cardamom pods
  3. Keep stirring the milk till the bottom frequently 
  4. Once 1/4th of the milk is reduced add the heavy cream, stirs well. Make sure there is no lumps
  5. Add the left over batter and stir for another 5 mins
  6. Add the jaggery and mix it well.
Final Step :
  1. Add all the chitoi pithes in the sauce and let the sauce simmer for 5 more mins
  2. Turn off the heat and let it rest for half an hour 
  3. Serve Cold or warm, both ways it taste awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment